Upstairs bathroom remodel

The upstairs bathroom was the one room in the house when we bought it that we didn’t have major plans to remodel. We didn’t love it, but it was functional and not so hideous that we couldn’t stand it. That’s why we spent the summer tearing it down to the studs and starting over again.

Or not. I was cleaning the grout (there’s a lot of grout to clean when you have 1 inch tiles, don’t ever install them) and a tile popped off. Then another one. Then I noticed the mold and I called Ken to congratulate him. He always hated that gray tile, and now we were going to have to pull it out. Sigh.
 photo IMG_5741_zpsf799a7c4.jpg

Here’s a set of pictures that will have to qualify as “before” pictures. It’s such a small room it’s kind of hard to get pictures of what it looks like.
 photo IMG_5744_zps1b5dca6d.jpg

 photo IMG_5745_zps24993047.jpg

 photo IMG_5753_zps1980b7e2.jpg

First, we tore everything out and bleached the heck out of all the mold.
 photo 20140607_161156_zpsvpxydw4h.jpg

 photo 20140607_161229_zps2n9ywdrw.jpg

Contrary to what you might think from watching HG TV, tearing stuff out is a lot of work, takes forever, and makes a huge mess. Don’t forget that. What you don’t see here is the fine drywall dust that is tracked all over the rest of the house.
 photo 20140607_161217_zpsumkkwaca.jpg

Once all the mold and tile was gone, I installed new insulation, and Ken installed some drywall. He also moved the shower head up, so that us tall people can actually stand under it, rather than next to it. HUGE improvement.
 photo IMG_5762_zps9acc03db.jpg

We had to remove the window because it was installed on top of the tile, so we spent several weeks (during the hottest part of the summer) with no window. Happily, the door to the bathroom could be closed to keep the hot air contained, but it was still a pain. Once the drywall and insulation was installed, we used caulk to glue plastic sheet to the studs as a moisture barrier. This should keep water from getting back to the wood to grow more mold. This was mistake #1 made in the previous construction: no moisture barrier in the shower surround.
 photo 20140610_185555_zpsat9hcyzv.jpg

Next up: cement backerboard for the tile. This was mistake #2 made in the previous install: they used moisture resistant drywall instead of cement board. Don’t do that. That is stupid. At some point in there I also painted the ceiling. We considered sandblasting and finishing it to match the rest of the upstairs, but we decided a white ceiling would make the little room brighter. Also three coats of paint (1 KILZ primer, 2 paint) is WAY less work than stripping and refinishing.
 photo IMG_5781_zpsd6eb9aa8.jpg

Taping and mudding cement board is kind of fun. We worked on that together. Taping and mudding drywall is NOT fun. I did all of that. Ugh.
 photo IMG_5785_zps0f45a58f.jpg

Here is the tile we chose. It’s cheap slate from Home Depot. I wouldn’t recommend using it in a shower surround. I’m not convinced it’s going to stand up very well to daily showers. But, it does look pretty. Hopefully I am proved wrong in my opinion. It is much better than 1 inch glass tile (mistake #3 in previous install) with a terrible, cracking grout job (mistake #4 in previous install). Besides, Ken adores it. I can’t refuse him.
 photo IMG_5782_zps541af717.jpg

Cosmo is helping us lay out the tile. Ken did all the tile cutting, I did pretty much all the actual tile install. It worked out pretty well.
 photo IMG_5783_zpsb0669a9b.jpg

One wall done!
 photo IMG_5789_zpsd9946899.jpg

And then we had to grout all the tile including the tiles we replaced on the floor (both of us), seal the tile with 3 coats of sealer (me), texture the drywall (Ken), paint the walls (me), finish some wood for shelves and above the glass block (me), install said wood and trim at the edge of the ceiling (Ken), re-install the window (Ken), install a new light fixture and hook up the outlets (me, followed by Ken when it didn’t work. Turns out it wasn’t my fault, the GFI was broken), caulk everything (I think Ken used five different kinds of caulk), install a new tank seal on the toilet (Ken), re-plumb the sink, toilet, and shower (all Ken), clean up the massive mess (me), install the towel bars (Ken), and re-populate the bathroom with stuff (me). Now it’s done.

 photo IMG_5934_zps8b473e27.jpg

It took us about a million trips to Home Depot, we returned a bunch of stuff, and we were building the shop at the same time, so totaling everything up to figure out how much this cost is not trivial. We bought a tile saw, so that was kind of a big expense, but other than that it was mostly just buying varying kinds of dirt – slate, adhesive, grout, drywall mud, drywall. Oh, and caulk. LOTS of caulk. We already had the paint and most of the tools except for the tiling tools.

 photo IMG_5939_zps66c53e28.jpg

I especially like all the cubbies we put in the walls to store stuff.
 photo IMG_5940_zps4b12a3d1.jpg

 photo IMG_5941_zpsbbc53df9.jpg

 photo IMG_5943_zpsa17855c1.jpg
I think it looks good. Hopefully it stays looking good. Hopefully I never have to remodel another bathroom as long as I live.

Advertisements

0 Responses to “Upstairs bathroom remodel”



  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




August 2014
M T W T F S S
« Jul   Sep »
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Archives


%d bloggers like this: