Triathlon report

Things have been busy. Since I last wrote anything here we saw the incredible eclipse, went on an awesome camping trip, my friend from college came to town to visit, yet another of my cousins arrived to work in Albuquerque for a few weeks, and yesterday I completed the Four Corners XTERRA triathlon. And much, much, more that I’ve forgotten.

I haven’t yet edited the eclipse photos so I don’t have to post a million of them to get the full picture. I have this idea to layer them over each other so you can watch the eclipse progress… But see “busy” above. Haven’t had time. Maybe this week?

So, on to the triathlon. It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Way worse than the PhD qualifier. You heard it here, ladies and gentlemen, it’s easier to get a PhD than to do this particular triathlon. Just takes 4 years instead of 3.5 hours.

Anyway, I bought a wetsuit for the triathlon, and the plan had been to try it out over Memorial Day weekend in a lake, but it was pretty chilly and the lake was full of broken beer bottles and fish guts, so I ended up trying it out in the pool the on Friday. Turned out the arms are a wee bit skinny for my hulk-like limbs, so I was a bit worried my arms would fall asleep during the swim. But they didn’t! The swim was awesome. We swam in the city of Farmington’s drinking water storage lake, and it was the most delicious tasting body of water in which I have ever immersed myself. Not that I tried to drink it, but some always gets in my mouth. It was a mile swim, and my only complaint about it was that it was hard to see the buoys on the way out east because of the sun. I was actually sad when I got close to the end. I would have been happy to swim another mile!

The bike ride… Nearly killed me. I knew it was going to be hard. 15.5 miles of mountain biking just is going to be difficult. But it was very sandy and loose – think a beach. And then there was well over 600 feet of climbing. I got passed by EVERYONE. When I finally got back to the transition area (around two hours later) I was totally beat. It was technically about 4 minutes after the cutoff for the run/bike transition, but nobody stopped me, so I headed out on the run. The run was also brutal – more sand, more ridiculously steep climbing, and it was getting hot. But I made it, I did it, I finished. I know I wasn’t the last person to finish, but I must have been close. My cousin Peter and Ken were on hand to cheer me on (but not take pictures, because I left the camera in the hotel room), and we celebrated by getting some Qdoba and visiting the museum in Farmington before heading home.

Anyway, I don’t know that I’ll do that race again, but I managed to train since January with no appreciable injuries. I’m taking a week off, then seeing what I think of half-marathon training. There’s one on Sept 16 I might try if the training goes well. I was thinking about it and it’s going to take an hour less than that triathlon did. Should be a piece of cake!

2 Responses to “Triathlon report”

  1. 1 bmoozick June 3, 2012 at 9:35 pm

    Those poor Farmington residents…

  2. 2 coldwork June 4, 2012 at 8:58 pm

    Yeah really gross, right?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

June 2012
« May   Jul »


%d bloggers like this: